Book Review: Mistletoe, Mobsters, and Mozzarella by Peggy Jaeger


Okay, so I have a confession. I love books like this. Not only are the titles confusing and fun, I make a movie up in my head of what the plot is before I start the book. I don’t even read the back of the book, I make my own Hallmark version in my mind, then dive in. For better or for worse. Because, let’s be honest for a minute, sometimes these books are train wrecks that you just have to look at because you are stuck in traffic, and you left the real book in your other bag.

I can happily say that this book is not one of those. This book is cute and funny and more on the realistic side than other books in this category. (The only thing I will mention is the criminology aspect had some incorrect procedures, but I will leave my college education on the party killer side of my brain). I enjoyed the characters. They are all loveable, honest and reminded me of my own family.

We are loud, we love each other to a fault, and we meddle by accident because most of us are fixers. So we fix. Which is meddling. I will admit that. Her uncles are dolls. I know they are supposed to be big, tough and macho Italian men. But they are marshmallows to their families. I read this book and I pictured a comedy of the Godfather, and it was brilliant.

The love story was teenage love come to life when you are ready for the love. And normally when there is murder in a book, I couldn't care less about any other aspect like love. But this story didn’t need anything to boost it. The murder, while unfortunate, didn’t interfere with Love. It let love start to blossom again. It allowed second chances, allowed broken familial relations to heal, families to understand where others stood and let their love be unconditional. **Spoiler alert: the murder does get solved. Love wins.** I was satisfied, but a little sad I had to leave them behind, but it was time.

Now, for the down and dirty part! (I had to… it is a sexy book.)

  • Language: 0 out of 5. There wasn’t inappropriate language that would make people uncomfortable or irritated for it being in the book.

  • Sexual Content: 5 out of 5. Look, it is a love story full of teenage sexual frustration that came to a head after 10+ years. There is sex. And lovemaking. It isn’t overly graphic. It is honest, soul connection type love, and it is very ‘vanilla’ so you won’t need to worry about your ears burning from the blush working its way through your body.

  • Violence: 1 out of 5. Someone is dead, people get shot, and men get slapped against the head when they are acting dumb and mamas/sisters/wives/grandmothers/aunts don’t like that. Keep slapping ladies! Knock some sense into those men.

  • Thematic Elements: 1 out of 5. It isn’t overly graphic, but there are some gun fights, dead bodies described in minor detail, and amazing food detail.

Peggy, please, please, please let me review more. Your book was sweet and cute. It was nice to sit in my office and read it with some hot chocolate.


4 out of 5 stars is my overall rating. I am withholding hoping she will have me review more. Fine. FINE. I cannot bribe her. 5 out of 5. It is a very cute and easy read. Great for a lounging day. I read it over the span of two days because my children demanded parenting. The nerve.

If you would like to support our book hoarding, you can buy the book from this link. We receive a small commission, but that does not change the price for you!



Aarika Baxter has a degree in criminal justice. She also has a penchant for true crime stories. She can usually be found with her nose stuck in a book...that is, when her dinosaur toddler allows it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Soul Search by Reyna Favis

Author Spotlight: Maureen Morrissey

Book Review: Armored by Dawn F. Landry