Inside Scoop on Jayna's Ratings

   

See Aarika? I'm shocked at
the accusation

 Jayna here! Aarika says I am a monster because it is rare for me to give five stars to a book. It rarely happens. Vonnegut is my favorite author, and I think I gave only one of his books a five-star rating. (That book was 
Slaughterhouse-Five, if you're wondering.)


    First, I take reading very seriously. My husband will tell you that I have books stacked around the house, and each one is full of notes and highlights. I read every day because it matters to me. I enjoy the storytelling, the characters, the style, and everything that makes up a book. I want them to be perfectly executed, so I can savor the experience. 


    With that in mind, here are my ratings broken down to help our listeners/readers understand how my mind works:


    One Star: I didn't finish the book. The grammar and spelling mistakes might have frustrated me, or the plot was too confusing. 

    Two Stars: I finished the book, but the number of unanswered questions and plot holes frustrated me. I probably won't re-read it. I probably won't recommend that anyone else read it either. 

    Three Stars: It was a solid story. The characters were fleshed out enough that I could understand them, and there were minimal plot holes. I had a few unanswered questions, but reading the book was an enjoyable experience. I usually will recommend these books if I know a person likes the genre. (Conversely, I will also give three stars if the book has too many details and too many plot lines.)

    Four Stars: The characters and story were almost flawless. The details were plentiful--without being overwhelming. There were no plot holes. I will probably re-read this book, and I will recommend it to people regardless of their favorite genre. I will also check out the author's other works.

    Five Stars: The author perfectly executed every element of the story. The characters and plot continue to haunt me months after I put the book back on the shelf. I quote this book to my friends. I not only recommend this book to others, but I also give it to them as gifts. I don't just check out the author's other works; I hoard them. 


    I realize that giving someone a copy of your book to read gives many authors anxiety. I promise to keep my reviews professional, but I also promise to be honest. You deserve honesty. 

    Seriously, I'm not a monster. 




Jayna Gerhart is a mom of four, psychology student, writer, avid reader, and homemaker. When she's not drowning in laundry and/or dishes, she likes to curl up with a book. Her favorite authors range from Kurt Vonnegut to Charles Dickens to Jonathan Stroud. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Soul Search by Reyna Favis

Author Spotlight: Maureen Morrissey

Book Review: Armored by Dawn F. Landry