Author Spotlight: Bela Gary


Bela Gary is the writer of The Midlife Crisis of A Perfect Woman. She agreed to an interview with us the week that we reviewed her book. These are her answers as she sent them to us. 

Aarika: Do you try to be original or to deliver to readers what they want? 
Bela: My work is definitely original because I don’t follow a certain formula, nor create to make anyone else happy. I create for myself (have for years!), for the sake of creation (you should read Srinivasan Rao’s book, An Audience of One—an amazing read!). Not that I don’t want people to enjoy my book, I know that not everyone will, but I definitely want it to resonate with some and perhaps help them lean and grow...When you create to please others, creation loses its impact and meaning. The whole idea of following a formula and routine is not appealing.

Aarika: What advice do you have for other writers?
Bela: Write without fear, from the heart, without judgment. Meditate, dream, and live and write about those experiences. Don’t write because you have to, so don’t pressure yourself to write everyday. I know this might be contrary to what many writers say, that you need to allocate time each day and sit and write, but I don’t do this except when I’m editing the draft. Write in your head, take notes (voice or text). Most of my work is done when I’m not writing. 

Aarika: Do you view writing as a kind of spiritual practice?
Yes, writing helps me understand myself. A lot of what I create comes from my soul. Writing clears my head, balances my emotions, and in many ways, gives me peace. It’s cathartic and enlightening. I learn a lot about myself when I tap in to both the dark and light within. Some people avoid the shadow side of themselves and end up not fully enjoying life because they are off-balance. You have got to learn about your dark side and accept it and writing is a great way to access it. (I use meditation to get in touch).

Aarika: What is your favorite childhood book?
Bela: Again, very tough! Would have to say I loved any Dr. Seuss, but my favorite book was Harold and the Purple Crayon. If you’re asking about novel type books, it was Charlotte’s Web

Aarika: Where do you get your ideas?
Bela: Meditation, dreams, and of course, real life.

Aarika: What does literary success look like to you?
Bela: Being known and appreciated and making a differences as a writer. I don’t need to be super famous nor make a ton of money (writing and money are oxymorons, ha!) Perhaps being known for creating something unique. I’m not there yet. I already know this book is not my best. My best book will come eventually. Maybe the one I’m working on now, maybe 10 years from now. Being happy with what you have created is key.

Aarika: Have you read anything that made you think differently about fiction?
Bela: I took a women’s lit course in college and was blown away. Up until that point I had read mostly men, because that’s what was fed to us in high school English. The male dominated “classics.” So the whole course really influenced me (Doris Lessing, Virginia Woolf...). However, if I had to pick one book that made writing seem magical or just touched me with its poetry, it was One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez.





If you would like to read how Aarika enjoyed Bella’s book The Midlife Crisis of the Perfect Woman, you can find it here


Aarika Baxter is the manager of a hotel, who reads, writes book reviews, and cohosts a podcast in her spare time. When she’s not doing all of those things, she is rearranging her bookshelves and tending her pregnant onions (succulent plants). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Soul Search by Reyna Favis

Author Spotlight: Maureen Morrissey

Book Review: Armored by Dawn F. Landry