Aarika's DNFs

This is one of those things we all do. If you read a lot of books, you have come across a book you just could not finish. And let me tell you, I loathe this. I wish I was one of those people who could power through a book that doesn’t grab them, but I am not. These are five books that I could not finish, no matter how hard I tried.

1: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte is the most recent I was unable to finish. And I tried, believe me. Jayna gave it high praise and Jane Eyre, by Emily's sister Charlotte, was great. So I gave it a go. I made it 10 pages in and HAD TO STOP. It felt like my brain was coming out of my nose, and I needed the feeling to cease and desist. I apologize to anyone who loves this book. Classics are just not for me. They are too formal. Why do you have to talk to me like I am your grandmother you only see on holidays because you want the inheritance?

2: Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King is one I hate to say. I love Mr. King’s book, but this book does not sound like him. I ended up looking at reviews for this book because I could not believe there was a book of his that I did not like. It turns out he wrote this with his son, which is totally fine! But the King feel in his books wasn’t his and it felt like it was pushing some strange attempt at a super feminist agenda. That was strange on its own, so I stopped half way through. It is on my list to pick up again and give it another try, so maybe one day I will finally finish it.

3: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins is the one that I was hoping to love. I am in a lot of book groups online. I mean A LOT. And everyone seemed to love this book, and they turned it into a movie, so it must be amazing, right? To me, that would be a no. The main character was someone I hated. She was creeping all over her ex-husband and drinking too much and just generally sucking. Being in her head was no fun at all. I made it about a fourth of the way through before I decided enough was enough and moved on to bigger and better reads.

4: Communion : A True Story by Whitley Strieber is a book I should have loved. I love aliens, Bigfoot, Nessie, X-Files. Name something supernatural and I probably know it and love it. So this book, which is supposed to be his true account of being abducted multiple times throughout his life, was great for me. A book match made in heaven. The book that will complete me because ALIENS. It read more like fiction and did not feel real after the first part of the book. I tried, I failed, I moved on.


5: Tattoo by Michelle Rene was a book that had such an interesting concept. You are born with clear skin, no tattoos. But when you sin, it shows up on your skin so people know what type of human you are. You could pay someone to take off a sin for you (which is illegal). And someone showed up with no tattoos! What?! I needed to know. I made it a few chapters in before I put it down. Great concept, but it was a slow story for me. I need thrills and jumps and ickies and all of that.


So, confess your sins to me. What books did you not finish? What books have you said you read but haven’t? Join the club. Confess.



Aarika Baxter manages a hotel in her spare time. When she's not sneaking books into the house, she is hiding them in her office at work. Her husband, Lance, is less than thrilled, but has accepted that he married a book hoarder. When he asked what she would do when she ran out of shelf space, she replied that she would happily stack them on the floor. We're not surprised. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Soul Search by Reyna Favis

Author Spotlight: Maureen Morrissey

Book Review: Armored by Dawn F. Landry